Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Oliver Tree Nickel


Oliver Tree Nickel has been a great friend of mine for many years. We grew up down the street from each other and we even both attend San Francisco State University. These days he is an aspiring musician with a bright future. I am here to ask Tree a few questions so you all can have a better understanding of what he is trying to achieve with his music project. He has a debut EP coming out in January titled “Demons.”  
Q: Tell me about the style of your music. What influences you and what instruments do you use during to process of creating your music?
A: My music is a mixture of traditional instruments, organic sound collage, all merged together and recorded into a computer. I write, record, and produce the music myself with the help of an assortment of musicians, from cello and string sections, to beat boxers and flute and saxophone players. I merge those instruments with a blend of home recordings of unusual instruments and textures out of strange things like toasters, eggs, Gameboys, dogs barking ect.  
Q: What does your live show set up look like?
Right now I don’t have the space or money to work with a full band, but in the next 2 years I would like a full band a string section. At the moment I am only playing live as a duet with my cello player. I am currently in the middle of building a stage and getting together a visual show at the moment. It should be ready by the end of summer.
Q: What are you excited about your new EP coming out in June? What’s next?
My Debut EP comes out this June on Vinyl and itunes and I’m very excited finally put out my first release with the support of a awesome label and publisher. I have been working on these songs and music videos for the last year and I'm stoked to finally share it with everyone. Also I'm stoked that it’s finally finished because I am ready to start making my debut album this summer. I am looking forward to taking the next few years off of school to write, record, direct some videos and then tour off the material.
By Nik Quarnstrom
Oliver Nickell

No comments:

Post a Comment